Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Community Garden Update

The garden is growing and flourishing, minus a rash of flee beetles attacking my nightshade plants.

I found out from my mother that I planted in-determanent tomatoes, so I staked them knowing now that these vines will get quite BIG.  I also didn't realize that I planted Romanesco Broccoli, which are very interesting looking, so I'm hoping that it produces! The snap peas that I'm growing from seeds I got from my neighbor are almost 8" high now, potato foliage is getting high, but the basil is still quite small. I have strawberry plants that came with my bed and they are getting big and sweet as long as the slugs don't get to them first!

Lastly finches made a nest in a lavender plant next to my bed - the eggs were blue and in a few days hatch with tiny birds - so cute.
-L

Just after planting


Here come the potatoes

Flee Beetle damage 
Coming along

Blue baby bird eggs


Salvaging Strawberries

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried hot pepper spray on those flea beetles? Also, Beer in bowls, sunk in the ground will drown beetles and slugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo, I might try the beer trick
    -L

    ReplyDelete